At first sight, you wouldn’t think the heart and eyes are connected, but they have more in common than you think. Your eyes require oxygen to maintain their function. The oxygen your eyes need is pumped by your heart through your body. So, if your heart isn’t working properly then your eyes won’t receive enough oxygen, resulting in possible vision loss. The most important tip in maintaining your eye and heart health is to see your primary care doctor and eye doctor regularly. Your doctor will:
- identify the signs early,
- if you’re at a higher risk for disease, he/she will recommend regular monitoring,
- start a treatment plan, and lastly
- communicate the importance of regular exams.
During a comprehensive eye exam, your doctor can check your vision and your heart health. But here are some things you can start doing today to show your eyes and heart some love. Check out these tips from the American Academy of Ophthalmology:
- Don’t smoke
- Be mindful of your weight and exercise regularly
- Eat foods that are great for your eyes and heart
- Be aware of your family’s medical history
Getting regular eye exams can not only improve your vision but optimize your overall health, especially heart health. When early signs of disease can be identified through an eye exam, there is no reason not to get one. Schedule an appointment today!
**Special Hours Every 2nd Friday of the Month: 9:30 AM - 4:30 PM